Registering as a Beneficiary
Maintaining an accurate Beneficiary Roll is one of the core functions of the the Ngāti Koata Trust, which is the representative body of the Ngāti Koata iwi.
To be accepted on to the Beneficiary Roll you need to provide a full account of your whakapapa. This requires you to identify your ancestors – parent(s), grandparent(s) and great grandparents through to a known Ngāti Koata tupuna.
The list of Ngāti Koata tūpuna comes from:
- The Ngāti Koata owners of Rangitoto (Native Land Court – Nelson Minute Book 1, Page 28, dated Tuesday 20th November 1883)
- The Ngāti Koata original owners in the Tenths Reserves (Native Land Court Nelson Minute Book 3, pages 46 – 57, 24 November 1892), or The Ngāti Koata Nelson Tenth’s owners alive in 1893 (Native Land Court – Nelson Minute Book 3, Page 268-279 dated 31st July 1895)
- Sec 34 Native Land Claims Adjustment and Laws Amendment Act 1901
- Special Resolution of the Board
Validation and confirmation
All registration applications must be validated by the Ngāti Koata Trust before final acceptance. Once validated, confirmation of your registration will be sent to you, along with your Ngāti Koata Trust membership registration number.
Where an application for registration is declined the applicant may appeal that decision.
Once you have been accepted on to the Beneficiary Roll we undertake to inform you of iwi matters and to give you the opportunity to participate in iwi decision-making processes.
We ask that you please keep your membership details, including email and phone contacts, up to date so that we are able to keep you informed of all iwi matters.
How to apply…
There are three ways to register to become a beneficiary of the Ngāti Koata Trust.
- You can download the application form, complete it and send it in to us by email or mail;
- Visit us in the office and fill out the application form; or
- Fill out our online registration application below. Please note: in order to register online you may be required to provide a copy of your birth certificate.