The Ngāti Koata Trust Board is calling for expressions of interest for a Ngāti Koata representative on the Tiakina Te Taiao Ltd Board.
Tiakina Te Taiao is an iwi mandated resource management entity that provides iwi resource management and environmental advisory for Ngāti Koata, Ngāti Rārua, Ngāti Tama, Te Ātiawa, NRAIT and Wakatu Incorporation.
The role of Tiakina Te Taiao is to raise awareness of tikanga and mātauranga Maori in resource management and environmental research, and development of community based initiatives. It:
- advocates for the protection of cultural heritage,
- provides cultural, social and educational aspects for understanding on Council urban and rural development,
- enhancement and protection of the natural environment from a Māori worldview for the wider Tasman and Nelson communities,
- advises Council on iwi being engaged and consulted in Council and National processes and procedures,
- assists in managing the environment and ngā taonga tuku iho which are core to manawhenua iwi identity and survival.
The key objectives of the organisation are:
- to facilitate, support and enable manawhenua iwi to practice kaitiakitanga in all areas of resource management in Te Tau Ihu,
- to provide a proactive and professional iwi resource management and environmental advisory service,
- to advocate for the protection of Maori cultural heritage (e.g. archaeological sites),
- to elevate iwi concerns, values and profile in the resource management and environmental area,
- to upskill and empower iwi members, to participate in this work in order to facilitate and implement kaitiakitanga (guardianship)
The role of the Ngāti Koata representative is:
- to effectively represent the interests of Ngāti Koata iwi
- to advocate and promote the goals and objectives of the Ngāti Koata Trust Strategic Plan
- to report to Ngāti Koata Trust Board
- to be an active, responsible member of the Tiakina Te Taiao Board
There is a renumeration package based on a meeting fee.
For further information please contact the Ngāti Koata Trust Office.